Thursday, April 29, 2010

American Girl

The new Punk Goes Classic Rock album is out and to tell you the truth, I'm only in love with 2 of the tracks. I feel like I probably should be in love with all of them, but I'm not. I love punk rock music (which includes pop punk as well), but it's WAAAAY daring to try to cover the classics . . .

I was really excited to see that there was a Tom Petty cover on there! I love Tom Petty's tunes. I grew up rocking out to Last Dance With Mary Jane, Free Fallin', and American Girl. So when I heard the cover of FREE FALLIN' by The Almost on the album, I immediately went to download it, and I've been playing it on repeat all day! It's like reliving those days when I would stand on my bed, rockin' air guitar and thanking my audience for "coming out to the show!" ;)

I've been reading a lot of reviews about the album, and a lot of people don't like that bands are trying to cover such iconic tunes. I, on the other hand, don't mind. I mean, if you can do a cover right, then you should. And you should ROCK it! I feel like The Almost does that with Free Fallin'. I love the aggressive power of Aaron's voice in the cover and the fact that they didn't stray far from the original. I know that it's really cool when a cover is done with a different feel (see John Mayer's slower cover, which is also awesome) but I appreciate that The Almost didn't stray too far from Tommy P's version. I think it pays homage to it's natural quality. I still listen to the original, but now I get to have a nice punk pop cover of it to add to the collection.





The other song on there that I love is the Mayday Parade cover of WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS. Love it!

No comments: