Friday, July 23, 2010

Against The Grain

I'm posting this here because I'm pretty sure I may be held responsible
for your CPR awareness at some point . . .



I have become more and more aware of the fact that crazy funny weird things happen to me often. For instance, I walked outside earlier to move the vehicle I'm borrowing out of the 2 hour parking spot I was in (which is what happens when you work in Lower Queen Anne) so that I wouldn't get a ticket from Parking Enforcement.* And as I walked outside, the telephone company service man that had just gotten out of his vehicle, said HELLO to me to get my attention and then asked where the main office was. It was a strong HELLO and it caught me off guard just as I was swallowing a chip. Because I was startled, I proceeded to choke on the chip. So I yelped a HELLO back to the guy as he rushed over to make sure I was okay. I kept coughing as I gave him instructions on how to get to the main office, since I was coming out of a back door. Thankfully I was okay, but I gotta be honest, my initial reaction was NOT to grab my throat to let the guy know there was a problem like the well-known poster suggests. I'm pretty sure he got the hint though. ;)

Moral of the story: Those CPR classes I took didn't come in handy after all. I'm just too forgetful for them to be effective for me. If you see me coughing and staring up in the air, that's MY universal sign for choking.

*They are my arch-nemesis in the driving world.

No comments: