Tuesday, October 7, 2008

...just a stranger on the bus, tryin' to make his way home...



Today was a whirlwind of a day. So I went in early to work...7:30 a.m. to be exact, so that I could leave at 3:30 p.m. to go downtown and pick up my tickets to Justin Nozuka's and Missy Higgins' concerts...i only got missy's... but still glad I got those! So anyway, I grab some starbucks cause i know it's gonna be a long morning...I have 2 sheets of 3 rows full of email addresses that I have to add to a distribution list...on a slow PC... while still managing the office and scheduling meetings for the boss. So I work on it all day...for 6 hours, that is. And I decide to skip lunch because my dad IMs me on Skype during my lunch break and I didn't want to get out of my seat in case something happens and he has to go...want to make sure I can say bye and that I love him. :) So as we're talking, he says that I can have dinner on him and Cindy! yay! But then I get back to work for the last bit of work, and just as I'm about to send out the mail merge, Outlook pops up a message: MICROSOFT OUTLOOK IS UNABLE TO SAVE YOUR LIST DUE TO LACK OF MEMORY SPACE. PLEASE REMOVE NAMES FROM THE LIST... oh man. boo. So I walk away from the day, upset that I just lost 6 hours of work...in 5 minutes. But on the other hand, I got Missy Higgins tickets...and I got to eat dinner at Red Robin down on the waterfront. And just so you know...I LOVE THE WATERFRONT! It's SO SO SO beautiful and makes my heart so happy. Some people look at the mountains and leaves to see the beauty of God...I look at the water, the fish, and Chad Michael Murray...jk.....kinda. not really. maybe. err...

anyway...

So if you're ever downtown and you want to get to my house, you just walk to 3rd and Pine and take the 41 to Lake City via Northgate. You'll hop on the bus and it will make about 3 stops before hitting the highway. Then you'll get to the Northgate Transit center and transfer to the 75 to University District. Which runs right up to the corner of Roosevelt Way NE and Northgate Way. It's a wonderful ride! you pass over the bridge and you can see Lake Union on the left, and Portage Bay on the right...again.. the water is so amazing!

Well I'm waiting downtown at 3rd and Pine and a lady comes up to me and asks me if the 41 has come yet. You see, up until about 7 p.m, it runs in the tunnel. Anytime after that, it rides on the upper streets along 3rd Ave. So I explain that all to her and tell her that I'm waiting for it too...and then it pulls up. It's kinda crowded, so we both get aisle seats near the front. And then a lady in a seat near us in the front asks her if she has change for a dollar. She says no, but I did have change, so I bust out the ol' wallet and give her the 4 quarters. And the bus stop lady goes, "Well you're just helping everyone out today!" and I was like, "Well..I try." And then we just start talking...the three of us...just talking about life, family, kids (not that i have any...but you know...) and all sorts of stuff. It was so fun just being friendly with strangers. And it felt great to be a help. :) I love it here!

2 comments:

Kathie said...

Sounds beautiful Amanda...I love how you describe Seattle....it sounds as if there is a lot of cool, crisp, fresh air--or at least that's what I imagine it to have.

amo (amanda) said...

it IS so beautiful to me!! And the air is really great here! The city is very "Green" and very "earth-conscious". They really take care of the city here. It's so wonderful- I fall more and more in love with the city, and the people every day!