Friday, February 5, 2010

GUEST BLOG: I'm With COCO

Hi everyone! Today is a crazy busy day—I'm going to see Jack's Mannequin at the Showbox tonight! Since I've got so many things to get done today and I didn't bring my computer along with me today, I've asked my amazing friend Kelley to do a guest blog. I always enjoy reading things that she writes and I'm sure that you'll enjoy her guest blog here today! So without further adieu, cue the Indian . . .


Unless you live in a cave (no, not that cave) I'm going to assume you're at least peripherally aware of the recent Tonight Show shake-up over at NBC.

Fig. 1: COCO, The Face of a Generation

Since tonight is the two-week anniversary of Conan's very last night hosting The Tonight Show, it would have been nice to spend some time reviewing a few of the reasons Conan O'Brien is the classiest, funniest guy on Late Night. (And the tallest. Just sayin'.) Unfortunately, the not-so-classy folks at NBC have chosen today to remove as much evidence of Conan's run on The Tonight Show from the internet as possible. (No, really; see for yourself.)

So instead, here are a few clips I had lying around, plus Conan's last Tonight Show. (Yeah, the full episode; take that, NBC.)

The Bugatti Veyron Mouse



I have to say, the giant ground sloth, spraying beluga caviar on a Picasso was pretty "epic" - as the young'uns like to say - but the Veyron Mouse is O. G. Classic, as both the first of the expensive segment series, and the only one that NBC censored from online episodes (well, until they censored all the episodes, but that's another animal.)

The String Dance



I don't need to tell you, but if Jay Leno ever attached imaginary strings to his hips and swayed them back and forth (his hips, not the imaginary strings - well, maybe those too) it wouldn't be hilarious, or awesome, or disturbingly sexy (only a little bit, a tiny bit; go with me here, I'm not a freak) it would just be disturbing. Seriously.

But what's that you say? You wish you could see a rad graphical representation of Conan's opening routine? No prob, Bob:

Fig. 2: COCO Trips the Light Fantastic

Jimmy Kimmel on Ten at 10 With Jay Leno



It may not be Conan himself, but seeing Jimmy Kimmel rip Jay Leno on his own show is strangely satisfying. Oh, and it's funny too.

COCO's Last Tonight Show



Conan's final Tonight Show was a lesson in class and humor, and only makes me more excited to see him back on TV. ...In seven months. Freakin' contracts.

Fig. 3: COCO Stays Classy

P.S. Yes, the title is a song:


P.P.S. Check out this Gawker article for more info on NBC's revisionist Tonight Show history.

P.P.P.S. On the off chance that something in this post tickled your fancy, you should join the readers' list for my blog, and we can totally do this again some time.† Just shoot me an email at kelleyarowe[at]gmail[dot]com. (Eh? Shameless plug? You like?)

† Okay, so this might not be true. School is kicking my arse* right now, and since, generally speaking, my time is divided into three categories: school, wasting time and blogging, when school starts impinging on my ability to waste time, I don't necessarily waste less time, I just stop blogging. Sorry about that.

* Feel free to pronounce that word with a British accent, for full effect.**

** Yeah, I'm edgy. What?!

No comments: