Friday, October 16, 2009

Wait For You


This coffee thermos is not just ANY coffee thermos. Okay, so maybe it is. But it's also cause for a funny story :D I went to a Light In The Darkness Banquet last night with the Westside staff and it brought back so many memories. From being greeted by the girl with (by far) the largest smile I've ever seen to the white and black ensemble that each server was wearing, I was reminded of many a banquet where I'd helped set up and serve. Usually when you are serving at a banquet, you are taught that the front row of tables are super important because that's where a lot of the VIPs and other special guests are seated. We were in the far left table on the front row (if you were looking out from the stage). And I'm pretty sure all the waitstaff thought we were "Table Nine" even though we were clearly table 7. ;)

We had eaten our meals and noticed that every other table but ours had a coffee thermos on it. So we asked for coffee. And we waited. And we waited. And we waited (I know, I know, I sound like a super brat right now) . . . Alas, no coffee. So then we asked again—about 20 mins. later, Jay walked out of the auditorium to ask someone to bring us coffee. About 5 mins. later, one of the servers comes into the auditorium with the coffee and she's ALMOST to our table, like 2 tables back and she's looking around at the tables to figure out which one to drop off the thermos. I keep trying to make eye contact with her to no avail, and she gives up and walks away as we are left sans coffee. So about another 20 mins. later, we're well into the program and Jay finally gets up again and walks back in WITH the beautiful thermos you see above. It took forever, but man, it felt SO great to have that coffee! :D

No comments: