Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Left to Lie

Got to go to El Corazon last night to see OWLS TO ATHENS and BOBBY LONG! It was so much fun! I got to meet cool new people and got to listen to some awesome live music! I'm seriously so grateful for having grown up in the Live Music Capitol of the world. There is definitely power in music. It can lift you up, help you understand someone better, and be a great outlet for all those things you always wanted to put into words but never could.

Even watching the opening band (whose name I didn't catch) and seeing this kid. . . literally I think they were freshmen or something. And when he was playing he looked so nervous, as most would expect. . . i mean, it was a pretty well known and respected venue. . . and he was part of the opening act for BOBBY LONG . . . so it was understandable. But I just remember thinking, "Man, once that kid learns to relax and work the audience, he'll be on his way." I really did enjoy all their music though. I just wish I had gotten their names.

Annie is a friend of mine from church and her husband Chris plays in a band called Owls to Athens and they did so awesome! I love their tunes and it's great to know people who are just as into live music as me :D

Then Dave Hannon came up, and I must say. . . they were actually my least fave. They weren't bad, I just wish that Dave would've taken more risks with the guitar riffs. I felt like the majority of the show was being held up by the little flair that the drummer had. Which, it's good that the drums are present and accounted for, but when it becomes a drum show rather than a vocals and rock guitar show. . . I start to lose interest. One person should not carry the entire band. . . the band should give equally. . . be EQUALLY as daring to push the rhythms and to blast the voice to give clarity to the lyrics. . . which I barely understood :(

And then when Bobby Long came out, it was so epic awesome! His voice is so amazing and soulful. I LOVE when singers let the music speak beyond the lyrics. It was such an intimate setting and I had so much fun singing along. The ONE video I really wanted to record was for his song WHO HAVE YOU BEEN LOVING but my camera was being kind janky so I didn't get it. :(

But here's a youtube version:


Good, eh? I thought so.

In any event, it was a great night and I had so much fun! Here are some pics from the show:

owls to athens

bobby long

bobby long

owls to athens

owls to athens


bobby long

NEW CONCERT FRIENDS!!

No comments: