Sunday, September 27, 2009

How Sweet It Is


I got to go to the Cake Wrecks "World" Tour (book signing event) at Third Place Books yesterday!

For those who have never heard of Cake Wrecks, basically:
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
You can check them out online HERE.

I had SO much fun at the event. I got there early to grab some grub, especially since I heard there was a BBQ joint inside the Commons area. And if you know me, and by now I hope you do, you KNOW how impossible it is for me to resist BBQ. Come on now, I may have moved to Seattle, but you can't rob this Texas girl of her BBQ, unless of course your BBQ joint also sells shrimp and tilapia (but that's another blog post). And though I haven't found any good TX style BBQ yet, I'm not afraid to eat some of that yummy goodness that is BBQ. The place I went to last night, Burney Brothers BBQ, was almost Bill Miller's quality. Not quite. It was just kinda okay. I've YET to find BBQ up here that can compare to Rudy's . . . or Pok-E-Jos . . . or well, let's face it, other ones that are better than Bill Millers. Don't get me wrong, I still got love for Bill Millers, but given the choice, Rudy's wins, hands down.

I could write an entire blog about TX BBQ . . . but we'll save it. There's sweeter things at hand . . . CAKE WRECKS! So I get done eating and head into the bookstore area and buy my Cake Wrecks book :D And I start reading it and I'm just laughing out loud so hard. That book is awesome! If you have a B&N or other bookstore near you, make sure you check out the book! It's by Jen Yates.

The Q&A session was quick, but Jen and John DID get to share some of their favorites and they were some of my faves too. Then when they were done, we were instructed to get in one line and then as we passed through each station, we could go to another line. The three stations were: Book Signing, Free Cake, and the Cupcake Judging Competition. To celebrate the book signing, Jen posted a cupcake contest where people could bring in a cupcake that resembled another cake wreck from her blog. I actually got to stand in front of a lady in line whose son won one of the prizes for his "wreckplica." It was fun being surrounded by fellow CW fans. And I must admit, I was mildly jealous of a chick who was waiting in line, cause her husband was proudly sporting a HAPPY FALKERSATHERHOOD cake wrecks shirt. I thought to myself, "Oh I hope my husband wears one of those someday." We shall see . . .

So here are some pics from the event:

In front of Third Place Books. I stopped in to eat dinner at a BBQ joint inside. The service was crappy. The food was "meh." But the excitement of going to the event kept me happy :D

Got my book! It's hilarious! Lots of new content that isn't posted on the site. If you don't buy the book yourself, at least look through it at the bookstore. You'll get some good laughs :D


This chick was introducing Jen and her husband John. She was reading from a sheet of paper. It was unrehearsed and dry. But I guess it was okay cause Jen and John totally livened things up when they took the stage.

They're explaining some of their favorites and doing some Q&A. Even jet-lagged they're so fun and witty :D

The cake that started it all . . .

One of Jen's favorites- a groom's cake. it's not photoshopped. it's cake photo paper. why THAT pic? the world may never know.

A Cake Wrecks fan favorite— Naked Mohawk-Baby Carrot Jockeys! Seriously, who makes these things? Oh, Costco. That's who.

Jen judging the cupcake wreckplicas that fans brought. This was just some of them :D

Cupcake Wreckplicas! So funny!

I love the Wreckplica of the baby coming out of the flowery cake

2 bakeries joined together to provide cake for all the event attendees. it's my first time ever having cake with cardamom in it. One had cardamom, the other was a mint chocolate chip cake. they were both YUM!

Jen signing my book :D

Me and Jen photo op! She's so SWEET and witty! I read cake wrecks every morning and her humor just adds to my day! :D


Cupcake Wreckplica of the Naked Mohawk-Baby Carrot Jockeys!! :D

My fave Cupcake Wreckplica! the Original post told about a mom who ordered a Transformers cake for her son. But she said instead of having Optimus Prime on there, she wanted Bumblebee instead. The cake she got had the Transformers logo and colors . . . and this bumblebee on it. ;) guess they've never seen the movie. ;)

No comments: