Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Oldest Story In The World

I had the awesome opportunity yesterday to teach Life Lessons for the Master's Commission of Austin crew, and I got to share about my transition from Austin to Seattle. I based the majority of it from my blog about THE RESOLUTION (see blog post list on the side bar for reference).

Here are the points I discussed:

GET A GRIP:
- Find your passion and hang on tight!
- If you don't know what your passion is yet, ask yourself these questions:
-> What matters to me?
-> What makes me happy?
-> If someone gave me one hundred million dollars and said, "Go chase your dreams" what would I do?
- Focus on making it real. Don’t just focus on making it happen, make it real and make it matter.
- Focus on the right things while you're in Master's
- Don’t get so caught up in the drama of who likes who, who’s cute? who’s my future mate material. Focus on, when I meet my future spouse, what substance am I bringing to the table? Am I going to bring a half to the whole or am I going to bring another whole person to the whole of me and my future spouse?

HIDDEN IN YOUR HEART:
- A scripture is just a scripture until it means something to you
- Scriptures that have guided me: Hosea 13:4-6; Psalm 51:6
- Hosea> I promised myself that no matter where God takes me in life, I cannot risk forgetting Him. I cannot let myself forget Him. Because if I forget Him, I forget who I am.
- Psalm> Honesty is hard. And the easiest person for me to lie to is God. This is my gut check verse. You gotta be honest with God. And you gotta be honest with yourself.

A LITTLE HELP HERE PLEASE:
- Have someone or some people in your life that you allow to get into your heart and really push you to stay on course.
- Who is helping you get to where you need to go?
- Who is speaking into your life?
- Whose life are you speaking into?
- Will you keep it up even when you don't feel like it?
For a reference point, you can send an email to your 'future' self at www.futureme.org

KNOW YOUR ROLE:
- Are you a superhero, a sidekick or a villain? (I choose to be a sidekick)
- Will you do something you dislike if it meant saving your life?
- what about someone else's life?
- What's more important: being RIGHT or being GODLY?
- If you go somewhere with this giant ego, thinking that your skills and outstanding ability to do a stomp routine are going to get you a step up in life and are going to land you that huge high paying job, you may find yourself camped out permanently in the unemployment line.
- People are watching every move you make, and what you do matters, both positively and negatively. With this new opportunity to do youth ministry, I’m not out to be superwoman. I’m looking to be an awesome sidekick for God and my senior pastor.
- The mentality of “I’m a second/third year/staff so you have to do what I say ALWAYS scares me.” Because when you’re in a real life situation, that doesn’t work. Ever.

LET'S GET REAL HERE:
- When you are on the way to chasing ANY dream, there will ALWAYS be obstacles. There will be setbacks. There will be hard times. There will be great times! There will be times where you feel you can't go on or you're failing. Have a game plan. Remind yourself to pray. Remind yourself to be accountable.
- What scares you the most about your life outside of the Master's bubble?
- What are you doing to do when it happens?

--------------------------------------------
RESOLVE TO GET THERE.
RESOLVE TO BE SUCCESSFUL, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES LOOK LIKE
RESOLVE TO GIVE LIFE ALONG THE WAY
RESOLVE TO LIVE
--------------------------------------------
Live in the Resolution.
--------------------------------------------

No comments: