Thursday, January 21, 2010

Endlessly, She Said

Today is one of those days. No, not one of THOSE days ;)

But one of those really stressful days. I like to call them DEADLINE DAYS. Working in publications, time is money and money is time, and we are constantly producing publications. This past week has been super important because we've been working to publish one of our most important resources ever. The good thing is that my boss has been SUPER happy with my work, and that makes me feel awesome! But I gotta get real—deadlines stress me out. I like to think that deadlines stress the majority of people out though.

Anyway, so for the deadline today, I had to get this publication ready for a last round proof for our CEO to look at. I would run up a draft proof to his office, then 5 minutes later, I'd get a call that he wanted something added, or something tweaked, or something taken away for clarity purposes. Then he wanted 4 copies of the pamphlet made for the proofreaders to check over the weekend. And he was leaving out of town at 1 p.m., so all the final changes for the last proof had to be made before that. So needless to say (but I'm gonna say it anyway), I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off, and then I was hunkered down at the computer, frantically working to make things perfect.

By the time 1 p.m. rolled around, I successfully handed in the proof and delivered the other 3 to the respective persons. So I got to eat lunch around 1 ish. I was soooo hungry from running up and down the 3 flights of stairs over and over again (we don't have an elevator at my work).

It takes me FOREVER to come down off of the adrenaline high of rushing to meet deadlines. My stomach ties itself in knots, i get a huge headache, and my heart beats super fast while my mind races on endlessly. I ate my lunch, and thankfully, my boss brought me some Oreos as a type of treat to help me ease out of the rush, but it still took another hour or so to come off the adrenaline high. 4 Tylenol later, the headache begins to subside and I try to regain focus and figure out what the next step of action is.

That is a deadline day in a nutshell. They're crazy. I'm really glad they don't happen THAT often, but they do come. I now have 3 more huge projects to work on, along with on-the-side stuff for friends. It's weird because I live for the rush, but the rush kicks my butt!

I seriously have mad respect for all the other people working in publications. Ours isn't big name and it's intense. If I could go up and hug all the people working at big magazines and stuff, I would—they need it!

The good news is that I won 2 tickets to go see AFI at the Showbox tomorrow night! Nothing like an evening of rocking out to start off the weekend, especially after a deadline day. :)

No comments: