Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You


You see that? It's the state of Texas!

What's really interesting is that I learned how to draw that in Elementary School. They actually taught us how to draw our state. Surprisingly enough, I never considered taking any extra time to perfect it, so it looks like an Elementary School kid drew it. :p It does come in real handy when you're trying to explain to someone how far away from Austin other cities, like San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, and Wichita Falls are.

I'm sure that even if you're not from there, you've heard of it. We Austinites/Texans try to make sure you do. ;)

Today is a BIG day for that great state! It's the BCS National Championship Game Day! Now, although I know how to draw the state of Texas, I kind of always failed more when it came to drawing the Longhorn logo. It's tougher than it looks. See . . .


Now, if it's one thing that you've probably gathered from following my blog, it's that I know next to NOTHING about sports, football in particular. It's not that I've never watched a game. I mean, c'mon, I was in the Colorguard in High School. Games were mandatory. What is Colorguard, you ask? We're the people who wave flags and march with the band. See below:


Yep. I was a flag girl! I actually quite enjoyed it.

So, having been to every football game and still not understanding what the game is all about or how it's played, you might be wondering why I even care so much about the big game tonight. The answer is simple: I'm a downhome Austinite and I'm not dumb. Let's put it this way . . . when I was in Colorguard, we had the opprotunity to march in the parade to celebrate Ricky Williams winning the Heisman Trophy. Because of my grades, I wasn't able to actually go—no pass, no play :( But even then, I KNEW it was a huge deal. I was proud of my city. I was proud of our team and proud of Ricky Williams. I don't really cheer for football teams, but if it's one I feel at least mildly comfortable cheering for, it's the Texas Longhrons :D I mean, c'mon, try being part of my family and NOT being a Longhorn fan:


It just does not work ;)

So I'm really excited for the game. I most likely won't know what in the world is going on, but when Texas makes a touchdown, I'll get really excited :D

Also, Switchfoot is playing the tailgate pre-show and I REALLY hope they show footage of that! :D

In the meantime, sing it with me . . .

No comments: