Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Painting Pictures of Egypt

Tonight was my first ever Seder meal. My small group got together and we made it a potluck/Seder evening. It was a "Christian Seder" actually, not the legit traditional Jewish one . . . we only had 2 hours so we had to shorten it from it's traditional entirety. Though I'm kind of glad we did. I have a really hard time with really traditional things. Here's why:

1. I have a hard time being serious. My brain is seriously like spaghetti. One phrase from someone will trigger a funny thought or a memory and my mind just jumps on that wave and rides it until it meets another. There is pure joy and bliss in being random. Let's just say, my future husband will never cease to be entertained. I am, in fact, 99% random and 1% ridiculous . . . and sometimes they switch sides.

2. I have never been good at doing things "traditionally." In fact, more often than not, I hate doing things traditionally. I don't always like order or set rules and limits. It's something I try to work on, but more often than not, I lean towards nontraditional approaches to things.

3. I am accident prone. I will be honest, for the majority of the night, I sat on my hands. I had to. I get so fidgety and I get easily distracted. Most of the time, this results in spills, broken items, and frequent visits to the first aid kit. Needless to say, when it's a celebration of reflection and spiritual growth, such accidents are kind of distracting.

4. I don't really enjoy trying new foods. In fact, the majority of the time, I'm just fine with my standard comfort foods. So when you ask me to try new sorts of cheese and herbs and things I can't pronounce, something in me tries to find a way out of it. :( PS: I totally ate the horseradish . . . not knowing what it was. And since I didn't know what it was, I spread it on THICK. :| Never. Again. :|

All in all, tonight was pretty good and was a great learning experience for me. I actually had a great time and I was really proud that I caught my glass of grape juice before it spilled all over the table. The only downside was that to symbolize having a lamb shankbone, we just used a stuffed animal as representation. Did I mention that the stuffed animal lamb was sitting in front of me? BAD IDEA. Again, distraction and randomness comes full force and things like this happen:



(get it . . . they lost their shankbones!)

Here are some other photos from the evening :D I love my small group! :D









**to any of my Jewish readers that I may have offended with my stuffed animal lamb shenanigans, I apologize. I'm really working on it.

No comments: